- ArticleQualcomm announces under the display sensor coming soon
Qualcomm announces under-the-display sensor coming soon
The words Under-the-display fingerprint scanner have been making rounds for more than a year now, it started with Samsung and then Qualcomm's showed up too. Although Samsung ditched us, looks like Qualcomm is following through on its promise. The company that makes Snapdragon processors has announced that it will be supplying these futuristic scanners - a new business for the company - starting in Summer 2018. The details a bit too complicated so allow me to break it down for you.
Why a Qualcomm's under-the-display sensors are amazing!
1. It can be easily implemented below the display without dents or crevices because of the use of Ultrasonics instead of capacitive sensors which requires you to have direct contact.
2. It can also go beyond reading fingerprints, with the ability to detect heart rate and even blood flow.
3. It works even underwater, where the capacitive sensors are completely incapacitated.
4. Speaking of underwater, the under-the-screen placement means there is one less hole to be drilled, which makes it easier for the manufacturer to make the device waterproof.
Qualcomm has also announced that the commercial samples for these sensors will be available by July 2017 and we will be able to see smartphones with the technology as early as 2018.