OnePlus recently launched the OnePlus 6T, the successor to the OnePlus 6. While the device has been performing well in reviews, it does come with its flaws and omissions. What’s more is that with OnePlus focussing more on the 6T, it seems to have lost focus of the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 5T. Well, at least in the global market. The OnePlus 5/5T are yet to receive an Android 9 Pie based beta update. That being said, it has already started receiving the HydrogenOS update in China. Well, fret not, as the closed beta has finally been leaked. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s dig down into it and show you how to install Android 9 Pie on your OnePlus 5T and/or the OnePlus 5:
Install Android 9 Pie on OnePlus 5T or OnePlus 5
Note: The following procedure was carried out on a OnePlus 5T running OxygenOS Open Beta 19. Also, this requires your device to have its bootloader unlocked with TWRP installed.
1. First off, download the HydrogenOS ROM based on Android 9 Pie for the OnePlus 5T by following the link here.
2. Next up, open TWRP and head over to Wipe -> Advanced Wipe. Select the /system, /data, and /vendor partition and then swipe to wipe the partition.
3. Now, tap on Install, and then select the ROM file you just downloaded. Swipe to confirm flashing the ROM on your device.
4. TWRP will now install the Android 9 Pie ROM on your OnePlus 5T. Once done, simply reboot the device.
5. And that’s it. You can now enjoy Android 9 Pie on your OnePlus 5T or the OnePlus 5.
OnePlus 5T Android 9 Pie using HydrogenOS
Well, that’s pretty much it. Thanks to the above method, you can install a near-OxygenOS build of the Android 9 Pie for the OnePlus 5T. Do note that the above method should work for the OnePlus 5 as well. However, in that case, the fingerprint scanner will not function, since the ROM is originally for the rear-place scanner on the OnePlus 5T. Also, OxygenOS does not come with any Google apps. As such, if you want to install the Google Play Store on your device, simply download the Google Play Store APK, Google Play Services APK, and the Google Account Manager APK on your device. Once that’s done, simply reboot the device and you should be good to go.
Android 9 Pie based OxygenOS for OnePlus 5/5T
As of now, there is no word when the OxygenOS would get a Pie-based beta build for the OnePlus 5 or the OnePlus 5T. However, with HydrogenOS already here, the Pie-beta for the OxygenOS should be on its way. We at Mr. Phone are tracking it with keen eyes. Make sure to follow us to stay updated with everything for the OnePlus 5/5T as well as everything else in the smartphone world.