Panasonic does make entry-level smartphones but isn’t much known for making rugged handhelds in the segment. However, the Japanese electronics maker has announced a new handset with the name Toughbook FZ-T1. At first, the product name gives you the impression that it’s a tablet or a notebook. But no, this is a handheld that has a sturdy and bulky build that has launched in Europe.
Toughbook FZ-T1: Why its called handheld?
There’s a reason Panasonic calls it a handheld and that’s perhaps because it is not regarded primarily as a communication device although it does come with Android 8.1 and 4G (in one of the variants).
The handheld is aimed at retail, hospitality, manufacturing, and transportation personnel and has a number of built-in functions that you’d not find on regular smartphones. It comes ready for use in the retail sector with a built-in barcode scanner and two triggers buttons.
There’s both a long range and a short range scanner in the Toughbook FZ-T1 that makes it a great utility for inventory management. Due to these built-in virtues, the Toughbook FZ-T1 is an ideal device for shelf stocking, assisted sales or order taking and queue busting. Panasonic also said that this handheld is suited to field workers due to its sturdy build.
It does weigh a hefty 240 grams and is also military standard 810G-certified, not to mention its IP68 ratings. It is also capable of surviving drops from up to 1.5m heights as well as temperatures from -10 to +50C.
The latest addition to the Toughbook series is quite costly as the Wi-Fi version will retail at £1,142 (Rs 1,03,024 approx.) and will be sold in August. The 4G version is priced at £1,214 (Rs 1,09,520 approx.) and will be sold in September.
As for other specifications of the Toughbook FZ-T1, you can take a look below.
- 5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels), touchscreen supporting glove and rain mode
- 1.1 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 212 with Adreno 304 GPU
- 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, expandable memory with microSD
- 8MP rear camera with LED flash
- 1D/2D Barcode Reader, two scan buttons for left and right-handed users
- Enterprise level security and manageability (COMPASS)
- Security: FIPS140-2 level-1 compliant, Built-in ARM TrustZone
- MIL-STD-810G certified, dust and water resistant to IP68
- 4G LTE (Optional), WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS / aGPS
- 3200mAh removable battery with up to 12 hours of continuous data access